Nick Urban is a software project leader with 15 years in the industry. He has led development teams from venture-backed startups to the Fortune 500. His work focuses on developer effectiveness through the use of lightweight processes like TDD, Agile, DevOps, and Continuous Delivery.
His favorite projects are greenfield development and rapid prototyping for contemplative, educational, arts, and service organizations.
Owner, Arch Digital LLC (June 2015 – present)
- Business development and sales for a new consulting business.
- Project lead - precision agriculture web application.
- Technology strategy consulting for private equity matchmaking.
- Large Ruby on Rails application & ReactJS development.
Senior Consultant, ThoughtWorks (Feb 2014 – June 2015)
- DevOps tech lead in Fortune 500. Saved client $115k/mo. by improving developer efficiency.
- Organizational transformation & training in best practices (Agile, DevOps, TDD, Continuous Delivery).
- Co-authored install-testing framework with Ansible and Docker.
Chief Engineer, Bespoke Post (Sept 2012 – Feb 2014)
- Led development of BespokePost.com (Ruby, Postgres, AngularJS).
- Built a specialized order management system with many API integrations.
- Recruited, mentored, and managed engineers.
Sr. Software Engineer, Deep Web Technologies (Feb 2011 – Aug 2012)
Web Application Developer, Soar BioDynamics (Jan 2007 - Jan 2010)
- Built web front-end for a cancer screening system in PHP.
Software Engineer, Evocative (2002 - 2004 summers, etc.)
- Built online stores for clients including Robert Mondavi Winery.
Philosophy at St. John's College
M.A. Liberal Arts; thesis on Philosophy of Technology. President of Graduate Student Council.
Technology Studies at Georgetown University
Work towards an M.A. in Communication, Culture, and Technology.
Literature at The Evergreen State College
B.A. Literature and Buddhist Psychology. Study abroad in France.
Computer Science at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
Work towards a B.S. in Computer Science.